Saturday, September 19, 2015

Confessions of the Exchange Lifestyle

For anyone reading my blog and seeing the lists of photos that all seem so perfect and magnificent, I must confess something. Although, that is certainly true, there is always more behind what we post for others to see (Trust me, I did research in Social Psychology about posting on social media). Exchanges are always difficult. Even Spain being my second trip, I had hoped I could bypass the stages of arrival that contain homesickness and denial etc. But that is not so. Each trip requires its own process of adjustment, and each person will experience it differently. 

This week was my third week of living here, and I still feel it does not adequately describe the feeling of having lived here forever. That being said, once again I am starting fresh with a new place to explore, learn and try to survive. Honestly, those at home don't always understand what it's like to be an exchange student as they just see the fun, crazy times we have that are posted on Facebook. 

In reality, EVERYTHING is much more difficult. Ordering a coffee, going grocery shopping or definitely getting your hair cut (as I have recently found out). As a side note, the water or humidity here was starting to make my hair fry to a crisp and I was hoping just the get the gross, dead part removed. Well, now my hair is too short to put in a pony tail. But hey, I asked for a haircut typical to Vigo, and that is what I got. Just wish I had specified, I hadn't want it to be THAT short. It will grow back. It is good practice letting go of the things we hold on to so dearly. I know that sounds a little morbid, but I love my hair. And to lose it, is a good practice. 

This is how short it is, in case you were wondering. Seems like a bit of a dramatic change personally. But to continue, breathing here even proves difficult. Literally everyone above the age of 13 smokes like a chimney. So a nice seat on the deck of a cafe is likely to be tainted with lots of smoke. So often I have to choose between health and the sun. Also, the Spanish take their time, and more than enough, when doing anything. Walking, taking your order (expect to sit there patiently for at least 10 minutes sometimes before they realize you are sitting in their restaurant), or getting important things done (which drives me the craziest). AKA still Wifi-less. 

All in all, there are the good days and the bad. And believe me, they fluctuate. Just this week I was on top of the world saying how incredible this experience, and this year would be, and within 24 hours had broken down in a Chinese dollar store. All because I couldn't find anything that reminded me of comfort. I tended to read a lot the first couple weeks here, and now I am without a book. I have tried three times walking into a store to buy a book in Spanish and walked back out empty handed. It's bothersome and overwhelming and just darn frustrating. I want to be frugal but I miss reading! I miss the things I do to take my mind off of not being in Canada among normal things. 

But that's the key really. Normal things. Last night, I went to the mall with my friend from Louisiana, Victoria, and went to a movie. Yes, it was entirely in Spanish. No subtitles. And for once, I did not have a headache by the end of it. Heck, I was even able to catch some of the jokes. And it left me feeling so NORMAL, that I floated home in happiness. 

Today, the weather is drop dead gorgeous. Where last week, we actually had torrential rain and hurricane type weather (and I made it to class that day actually). So I am going to take advantage of this lovely day and head to the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment