Saturday, August 29, 2015

Starting the life in Vigo

I have arrived! About time, in my mind. I was getting exhausted from the hop a plane to another plane to a bus etc. Within a few hours of getting picked up from the bus station, myself and the spanish student Alvaro had found an apartment. We looked at the first apartment and it was awful. Extremely stuffy, and I had a beautiful view of a plaster wall outside my window. After spending 8 months living in a basement, I was thinking no way Jose. For those of you that know me, at times I find it rather difficult to speak my mind and they just assumed this was the place to live for me. So I was pleasantly surprised when I told them I was hoping for something with a better view. Thankfully, speaking up paid off. I found a much better place in a different location but with a wonderful view. My room opens up to a balcony where I can see the sun set and I can tan too. As well, I've got a lovely view of the water and ironically it smells exactly (maybe a little less stinky) than the bay of St. Peter's. 
 Above is my suitcase. I wanted it to stand out from the rest. My only mistake was giving some paint to my mother. She wrote all kinds of embarrassing nicknames from my past on it. Thanks a lot Mom. Thank goodness most of the people here don't speak english.
 This photo was taken at 7:30pm and my back was sufficiently tanning from inside my room. The life is tough. I need to buy some sunscreen sitting in the sun as I write this.
 These photos below are all of the beautiful things I get to see from my apartment every day.


When it comes to the culture in Spain, I am surprised that it is extremely similar to that of Costa Rica. The people are similar, and the same to the shops and streets. I feel like I literally jumped right back into Costa Rica. Even my room is the same colour. The only difference is that I have no Costa Rican family supporting me here which is a little more difficult. Also I have no wifi. I am currently stealing a local cafes and drinking their coffee to be allowed to loiter for so long. 

Also I apologize if my grammar starts to get really poor. It was really interesting to see that as soon as I started hearing Spanish, my mind instantly starting thinking my thoughts in Spanish. And then I would have to translate my thoughts into English. It's wonderful that I can slip back into the process so quickly. But unfortunate for you guys as you will see my english become really poor very quickly. Perhaps when I get back, you will have to teach me english all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment