Saturday, February 27, 2016

It's Been Awhile- Lo Siento

Hello All,

I am not sure how many of you still follow me, since I have been slacking on the posts big time. Honestly, I think it is because I felt that I haven't had anything exciting to share about. I did travel home for a bit after Christmas which was a well-needed vacation away from vacation, but I assumed that would not be an interesting piece of Blogging information.

Lately though, I have realized something, with help of my bestie Jessica. I had the presumptions wrong in my head about what an exchange meant. I thought that the qualifications of a successful exchange, from the minds of my friends and peers, was to go out all the time to the clubs and bars. I found this difficult though, because not only does this happen A LOT in Spain, it's also on an completely different time schedule. They start to drink around 1am and usually do not return to their houses until 6/7am. Which for me, is completely crazy. I tried it once and I slept for the entire next day. Being the introverted extrovert that I am, it is a struggle to want to go out and do something that I know will literally be all night and into morning. For the longest time (most of my exchange thus far), I felt as though I wasn't living up the stereotype. That only people with amazing stories of social events and crazy fiestas have an awesome time abroad. Well, it took Jess to straighten me out and realize that those do not have to be the prerequisites of a good time. It depends on the person. Of course it doesn't mean sit at home everyday, but to go out and try something every once in awhile but not to measure yourself to those standards.

A few weeks ago, I moved into an apartment with a family. And so far, it is a wonderful experience. I am learning so much more than previous, and I feel much more comfortable in this environment. The children are 3 and 6 years old, and both little boys are adorable. One of them has an incredible desire to learn English and I am thrilled I get to help. So it's not all about partying and drinking. It can be about making friends and focusing on growing as a person. I am choosing to spend time with my family and to hopefully reach new heights with my fitness. And if that is what makes it a good exchange experience to me, I should be proud of that.

Ps. I will start posting more pictures very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment