Thursday, October 1, 2015
Getting Lost in my Most Rehearsed Hobby
This week I got lost too many times to count. Buses droped me off in random places far from my intended destination and Google Maps betrayed me and sent me to locations that were kilometres from where I was supposed to be. Thanks to that though, I had so many Ahah moments. Yesterday, I had an interview to be a babysitter and teach this woman's children english. She sent me the link and it lead me to the middle of nowhere. I was lost, confused and apparently another 15 minutes away. In the mean time though, I asked these older ladies for directions. Now usually, the older women here just look grumpy and angry all the time. I feel like the grimace at me as I walk by because I am different and foreign. Well, I talked to these two ladies that fit that profile, and they turned out to be the sweetest people I have met in a while. They were saying how lovely I was, how my spanish was very good and all these wonderful things. They even walked me part of the way I was supposed to go. After that, they gave me kisses and hugs ( The Spanish hello and goodbye) and wished me luck.
I felt so incredible after that. I broke through my the stereotype I built and got hit with love and acceptance. It gave me such a good feeling. I then went to my interview after getting lost a little more, and felt like it went very well. Afterwards, I saw a pretty view being the big-eyed, gawking Canadian that I am, and followed it. Turns out it led me right to where I got lost the previous week before. So instead of having no idea where I was, I found my way. I sure was exhausted after walking close to 4km, but the experience was worth it.
I suppose there really is a silver lining in every situation. You just have to be patient enough to see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment